Family Crest – Captain James McPherson
Captain James McPherson's family crest is made of silver. It is formed as a cat rampant; enclosed in a circular band with a buckle.
"Ensign James McPherson arrived in Auckland from Calcutta, May 1861, with his wife and two children with the 70th regiment, under the command of Colonel Galloway. Later, he was paymaster in the Comissariat Transport Corps. July 1864, he received his commission as Captain and joined the 4th Waikato regiment.
His country grant was in the present-day suburb of Hillcrest and as well as farming the land he set up a flax-dressing mill. He named his property 'Riverlea' and built a two storied house of Kauri in the mid 1870s. February 1871, James was elected as Waikato electorate's first member of parliment but he resigned in December that same year. Six years later he was with the Waikato County Council (appointed clerk and treasure) and remained there until his death in 1905. He is buried in the Hamilton East Cemetery.
Captain McPherson was one of the fifty settlers who planted a tree in Sydney Square, Hamilton East, to commemorate the 25th anniversay of the militia's landing at Hamilton."
See full details
Courtesy of Waikato Museum Te Whare Taonga o Waikato