Hei tiki double-sided pendant
Double-sided nephrite or pounamu/greenstone hei tiki, carved on both sides and on the edges. Found in Hamilton at Opoia paa. Of a very rare design, the hei tiki hails from the Te Puawaitanga period (1500–1800).
It was exhibited in the Te Maori exhibition that travelled to New York and later in the Waikato Museum Tainui The Journey Exhibition.
Although we do not know exactly who the original owner of the taonga is, we do know they would have been someone of status. The mana of that person remains present today embodied in this wonderful pounamu greenstone taonga.
See full details
Courtesy of Waikato Museum Te Whare Taonga o Waikato