The New Zealand Co-op Dairy Coy Ltd. Frankton No.1. Site [Dairy Factory] Group Layout & Drainage Plan.
Edgar Ernest Gillman
21 Aug 1943
This plan print of the NZ Dairy Company’s No.1 plant at Frankton (1943) shows a vertically integrated manufacturing facility on a large site. The factory includes facilities for tin making and a water reservoir with a 46 ft diameter, as well as lines for casein and butter production. A laboratory, a telephone exchange and a smithy can also be seen on the drawing. The scale of operation is revealed by the dedicated railway line servicing the factory, including a storage facility for the locomotive. Norton Road is marked at the bottom right of the drawing, but of course in 1943 Frankton was a separate borough and not part of Hamilton City. The building stretches approximately 600 ft from end to end – the length of two rugby fields. One interesting industrial feature of the design is the size of the engineer’s store, which is nearly as large as the factory. This suggests that extensive spares were stored on site in an effort to ensure continuous operation. And an interesting social feature is the separate lunchroom for the men – there is no such facility for women employees.
See full details