River / Road An Ecological Journey,
David Bramwell Cook
Miropiko. Miropiko Pa was built and settled by Ngati Hanui. The pa was named after a sacred miro tree that attracted an abundance of birds: Kereru, Komako and Huia. When British troops advanced up the river in 1864 the pa was abandoned. A few years later the colonial settlers burnt and felled the miro tree to clear space for the new city.
See full details
Te Whare Taonga O Waikato