Photograph Album - Rua Kenana & Maungapohatu

Maker
Euphemia Doull
Production date
Circa 1918-1926
Description
Photograph album containing photographs taken around 1918-1926 of Rua Kenana and Maungapohatu. The album was compiled by Phem Doull who was a mission teacher in the Maori Mission attached to the Presbyterian Church at the time. Reverend John Laughton was minister at the Church.

Photograph captions:
Rua and Mr Laughton on the steps of Rua's house
The round house at Maungapohatu used as school for 4 1/2 years.
Some of the girls at Maungapohatu School.
Sister Jessie Grieve and her classes.
Sister Dorothy and her school children.
The Manse, Maungapohatu.
Sister Jessie Grieve at her home in Maungapohatu.
School at Maungapohatu. School and house built of palings by Mr Fletcher and Mr Laughton.
The home of Sister Annie, Miss Monfries and Miss Tweed at Ruatahuna.
Historical meeting house at Matata, Ruatahuna. Built by Te Kooti who said no white man would ever cross its threshold. Services are held there now.
The first school at Ruatahuna. Miss Monfries on left of photo.
White sticker saying Left for Sister Annie.
Miss Tweed "Alone I did it".
Back view and front view. School and house Te Whaiti.
Miss Tweed.
Children gardening at Te Whaiti School.
Suspension foot bridge at Te Whaiti.
Taua, Ahahuia. Two of Rua 6 wives, Matahi. Teria Huia 6 wife in centre. She died suddenly Feb. 1923.
Group of Tuhoe missionaries at Rotorua.
Some of the girls of Rua - Tahuna School.
The old whare, Matahi. The first home of the Mission.
A spare tent, Matahi. "Come and try".
Cottage, whare & two of the tents, Matahi.
The school when held in the meeting house, Matahi.
Opening day of the new school, Matahi.
After school, starting for home.
Off to Waimana in Rua's dray outside his maize shed.
Akakura, Rua's chief wife, Matahi.
A bend in the river, Matahi.
View from Mission House, Matahi.
After a sale of clothes at Matahi. Three of these women have walked 5 miles and forded the river 5 times to attend.
The old school, Waiohau.
Mission cottage and tents, Waiohau.
A whare, Waiohau.
Some of the young men, Waiohau.
Old cottage lent by Piaka used for 1st year by Sisters Aileen, Flora and Mirss Aithur. Meeting house built of kauri used as a school.
New school and cottage built by Mr Craig on 3 acre site given by Piaka.
60 acres given by Maoris for boys' agricultural, technical school at Waimana.
Mr Connie, Mr Laughton, Rua, Matahi.
Matahi Valley. School, cottage and tents in foreground.
Maungapohatu. (x two).
Home of the Sisters, Maungapohatu.
Sister Dorothy woodchopping.
He hasn't missed a day at school for over two years, Maungapohatu.
Kirikino and a Waimana woman taken in Maungapohatu.
Mr Laughton and his father purchasing for the road, Maungapohatu.
Some of Rua's children in Maungapohatu.
The home of Sister Dorothy and Sister Jessie Grieve on extreme right. New school on extreme left. Maungapohatu.
Maungapohatu.
Early morning mists in Maungapohatu. Rua's house down below.
Maungapohatu.
On the verandah of Nuhaka Mission House.
Nuhaka mission with visitor on right, 1921. Miss Roseveale with hat on.
Mission Hospital, Nuhaka. Opened Aug. 1924.
Turakina:
Summer-time.
After the picnic.
At the picnic. Miss Kinross in centre.
Ada on left (died 1922 at her home Frasertown). Sarah from Nuhaka.
Maori Girls' School, Turakina.
[Unreadable], Turakina.
Miss Kinross and Miss Truman.
See full details

Object detail

Production date
Circa 1918-1926
Media/Materials
Photograph album, card, photographs
Measurements
118 x 200 x 20mm
Production place
Collection
Department collection type
Credit line
Gift of Nancy Bracey
Collection of Waikato Museum Te Whare Taonga o Waikato
Accession number
2007/31/1

Share

Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.