Ngaruawahia Sketch

Maker
School of Merret
Production date
Unknown
Description
This sketch depicts the confluence of the Waikato and Waipa Rivers at Ngaruawahia, which was the headquarters of the first Maori King, Potatau. In 1863 the site was abandoned, leaving General Alexander Duncan Cameron to set up infantry there. This image was probably intended as a working drawing. There are two other works of identical scenes by John Barr Clarke Hoyte in the Trust Waikato Collection. It is thought that due to the dangerous circumstances at that time, that this sketch is by one of Hoyte’s students from his Parnell studio; Hoyte having made his own drawings from later, relayed accounts.
See full details

Object Detail


Media/Materials
Watercolour on paper
Measurements
374 x 458 x 30mm (framed whole)
148 x 244mm (image)
Production place
Department Collection Type
Object type
Credit line
Trust Waikato Art and Taonga Collection
Accession number
2003/8/3

Colours


Share