Ngaruawahia c 1863 - 1864
John Barr Clarke Hoyte
This watercolour depicts the confluence of the Waikato and Waipa Rivers at Ngaruawahia, which was the headquarters of the first Maori King, Potatau. In 1863 the site was abandoned, leaving General Alexander Duncan Cameron to set up infantry there. This is the third study of three works in the Trust Waikato Collection that show the site of the crossing on December 8th 1864, by two detachments from the 65th and 58th regiments under the command of Colonel Wyatt.
John Barr Clarke Hoyte (1835-1913) was born in London, England. Little is known about his youth but in the late 1850’s he worked in Guyana, South America before returning to England. In 1860 he travelled with his wife to New Zealand where they were to remain for the next 16 years. Hoyte was a tireless traveller and documented through his paintings a large proportion of New Zealand’s landscapes. After a successful career in New Zealand, Hoyte moved with his family to New South Wales, Australia where he was to spend the remainder of his life.
See full details
243 x 384mm (image)